This document gives you a quick overview of how the CMS4Schools system works. After working your way through this document, you should be able to start adding pages and doing some basic website editing. For some of you, this may be the only manual that you will need to fully administer your website. For complete instructions on any feature, go to the appropriate Help Manual files see the relevant Help Center Article.
- Using the Navigation Builder, add a page to your site.
- Once the page is added, add tools (content) to the page.
Use the Navigation Builder to Add a Page
Select Navigation Builder Home in the left side administrator.
The Navigation Builder Home link will open the Navigation Builder to the Home section. Use the drop-down to navigation to the section of your website where you want to add a page.
Once in the desired section, select the Add Page link to open the Add Page screen.
Fill out the required information for the page.
- Navigation Category: Will default to the category you are currently in
- Navigation Link Name: The name of the link that will appear in the website navigation
- Navigation Type: Select to add either an internal web page or a website link. Note: Website links should be used rarely as they are directing visitors off your site. One alternative is to create a "resources" page that contains all of the desired links using either the resource/new tools or links tool.
- Internal Webpage: The Physical File Name and Page Title will be automatically generated. You can update the page title if desired.
- Website Link: Select if you would like the link to open in a new browser (external websites) or an existing browser (page within your site). Copy and paste the URL into the URL field.
- Navigation Link Status: Default is Active. You can set the page as inactive if you don't want the page to be included in your website's navigation. It can be useful to set a page as inactive while you are working on adding content.
- Navigation Order: Use the drop-down to select where in the navigation this link will appear.
- Navigation Level: Select the desired navigation level. Level 1 links are the main links. Level 2 and 3 links are subpages for Level 1 links.
Click Add to create the page. The page will be added to the sitemap for the selected navigation category.
Navigation Builder Sitemap
- Level: Displays if the page is a level 1, level 2 or level 3 page.
- Link Name: Displays the link name for a page. Level 2 and level 3 pages will be indented to provide an outline view that makes it easy to visually identify level 2 and 3 pages.
- Type: Indicates if the link is an Internal Webpage (Page) or Website Link (Link).
- Content: Select the Main Body or Right link to add content to the Main Body or Right Side of a page, respectively.
- Properties: Allows you to update any of the properties for the page (initially set when adding the page).
- Delete: Delete the page. Note that you will not be able to delete a page without first removing all the content from a page. This is a safety feature to prevent accidental deletion of content.
- Preview: The preview link will open the page/link in a new tab. The Check Accessibility link will open the page in WAVE (web accessibility evaluation tool). You can use WAVE to verify that the content you added to a page is accessible.
- Last Modified: Displays the date and time the page was last modified and the user complete this modification.
- Permissions: This link will open a window that displays all of the users that have permission to edit the page.
Add Content to a Page
Locate your page in the sitemap and select Main Body under content to start adding content to the main body of the page.
Once in the Main Body or Right Side of the page, you can select a tool from the drop-down and add it to the page.
- Add Tool to this page: Choose the desired tool from the list.
Note: The Text/Graphic Editor will always be the default tool selected when first entering the Main Body.
- Choose the position of the tool. The default is at the bottom of the page. The first tool added will only have the "Place at top of page" option. When there is more than one tool, select the item you want to add the tool after.
- Click Add to create the tool.
You are able to add as many tools as needed to the page to display your content.
Note: View the Help Center article for the tool you are adding for specific information about the tool.
- Change Position: Allows you to change the order of the tools on a page.
- Move: Allows you to move a tool to a different page.
- Update/Edit: Allows you to make changes to the tool.
- Preview: Opens the webpage to the tool location in a new tab.
- Delete: Allows you to delete a tool from a page.