Master pages can be used to accomplish the following:
- Creating a page tool(s) that is common across multiple web pages.
- A way to change the above created page tool(s) which will effectively change all the web pages.
For example, a right-side text/graphic editor could contain a short list of the names of the department chairpersons. This text/graphic editor tool can be set up as Master Content in the Content Template Library then placed on all department webpages. If a department chairperson leaves the district and is replaced by someone new, the change would be made to the Master Content and all the webpages this tool had been added to are updated with the new information.
If you are familiar with how the Content Template Library works within CMS4Schools, please read on. If not, it would be a good idea to become familiar with that information first.. Our help documentation for the Content Template Library is available on our Support Site.
Accessing the Content Template Library and Creating Master Content
Within Navigation Builder, choose Content Template Library from the page category dropdown list. If a page exists, click on Main Body or Right. If not click on Add Page to set one up for this purpose.
Adding Content to the Template - Text/Graphic Editor
- Any of the tools within the CMS4Schools application can be set up as Master Content. Choose the tool you wish to add to the template from the dropdown list, then click Add.
- This help document will utilize the Text/Graphic Editor tool.
Add text and / or graphics as usual, then click Add..
- Within the heading, check the Master Content box. You can also enter a Tool Heading at this time, but it should be noted, the Tool Heading WILL NOT CHANGE via the Master Content function.
- Click on the Save button.
Copying this Tool to Other Webpages
Using the Navigation Builder, switch to the page category you wish to add the content to and click on Main Body or Right on the page you wish to add the master content to. This can be done to as many pages as you wish. In this example, I will add the master content to the main body of the Students Home page.
- All master content that has been added to this page will display grouped by Main Body or Right Side Bar.
- Check the box next to the content you wish to copy, then click the radio button labeled Use Master. Note, you can also Create Unique content at this point if you wish.
- Click Copy.
- The next window will indicate 'The content has been copied."
- Using the Navigation Builder, return to the page and Preview it.
Updating Master Content
Go back to the Content Template Library and locate the master content tool. Click on Update Text/Graphic Editor, and make some change to the text or graphic.
Verify the Content has Changed
Switch to the webpage containing the master content, refresh, and verify the content reflects the change that was made within the Content Template Library. Changes to the Tool Heading will not display. Simply change the tool heading on the page as usual if needed.
Deleting Master Content - Warning Message
Deleting a tool designated as Master Content, will display a warning message, reminding you of the pages that include a copy of this tool. The message is shown below.
Review of Steps to Create and Add Master Content.
- Add content within the Content Template Library.
- Designate it as being Master Content.
- Copy the content to another webpage using the From Content Library link
- Preview the page to confirm existence of master content.
One more thing...
- In this tutorial we've created content within the content template library, then copied it to another webpage.
- You can also copy existing tools TO the Master Content Library, designate it as Master Content, then copy it to other pages. In other words, the content does not have to be created within the Content Template Library, it can be copied to it from an existing page.
Please let us know if you have questions about this function.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://support.4schools.net
- Phone: 920-354-6540