This utility can only be used by a website administrator that has access to the 4Schools Users Database. "Import Photos" is used to upload faculty/staff photos to individual user accounts so they can be displayed on faculty home pages (Profiles) and/or Staff Directories. This utility eliminates the need to upload staff photos individually.
To use this utility, you will need a zip file of the photos and know the naming convention used by your photographer. This might be "First Name, Last Name", "Last Name, First Name", "External Student Info System ID" (in other words the unique ID found in the first column of the table displayed when you search for users in the Users Database), or you might have a .csv index file.
This Import Photo Utility has two parts. Part one is to upload the zip file, processing the files and placing them in a Photo Queue. Part two is to Import the files into the 4Schools Users Database matching them to the appropriate user account.
Accessing the Import Photo Utility
Log in to CMS4Schools and go to the Users Database. Click on the left side link "Import Photos".
Import User Photos Beginning Screen
- Read the setup information in the red box. Note: The file must be a .zip file containing JPEG or GIF image files that are at least 200 pixels in width. Also note: Although the drop down list shows a comma separator, any character in the bulleted list can be the separator in the image file names.
- Choose the Naming Convention appropriate to your zip file. See the "Naming Convention" drop down list below (2A). If you choose File Name Index, a second "Choose File" button will be displayed for you to upload the index file. (See 2B below.)
- Browse to your zip file. If you chose "File Name Index" from the drop down list, then also choose your index file. (See step 2B)
- You can check either or both boxes for Photo Sizes. The Large Profile Picture is the one that will appear on the faculty home page and the Small Listing Photo will appear in the Staff Directories on the web pages where the Faculty Listing tool is used.
- Click the "Process Photos" button to begin the photo upload process.
2B - Naming Convention - With File Name Index
File Name Index should be selected when the files from your photographer have file names that do not identify the individual in the photograph. The index file will need to be in the format (file name, first name, last name).
The example used for this document is using the Naming Convention of Last Name, First Name and a zip file named WBPI.zip. Actual faculty names and pictures will be blurred in this document to protect the privacy of the school district providing the file used to test the utility.
Step 5. Clicking the Process Photos Button
When the "Process Photos" button is clicked, you will see a message that "Your photos are being processed. Based on the number of files this may take a few minutes. Please be patient." When the process is complete, the screen will change and the photo queue will display. The files have been matched to the user accounts. The queue will allow unmatched files to be manually matched or removed from the queue.
Photo Queue Created
- If there are any files contained in the zip file that are not JPEG or GIF files, a message will be displayed in red at the top and those files will be highlighted in red. You can use the check box (4) to remove those files before clicking the "Import Photos" button. If you do not remove them, the files will be ignored and later reported as not matching a user account in the email that is sent when the upload is complete.
- The number of files placed in the Photo Queue is displayed. Note that there were two files in the wrong format so this Photo Queue has 28 valid image files in it.
- You may add an additional zip file with the "+Add More" button. This will add additional image files to the photo queue. Clicking the "+Add More" button will take you to a screen identical to the first screen shot with the addition of a link allowing you to look at the "Photo Queue". See the red rectangle in the screen shot below.
- Use the check boxes to remove any files you do not want to upload. Clicking the check box in the grey header will select all of the files in the queue, unchecking it will deselect all of the files.
- If a file name does not match a user in the Users Database you can manually match the user to a user account. This is handy if a nickname was used in either the Users Database or the file name. For example you can match Jon Doe to Jonathon Doe. See the second screen shot below labeled Step 5.
- Click the "Import Photos" button to being the import process. Processing times will vary depending on your system. Please be patient while the photos are being processed.
Step 5. Manually Match a Photo to a User
When you click on the manually match link, a drop down list of the names of the users in the Users Database will display next to the unmatched photo. Choose the user that matches the image. Click Match, then use the BACK TO IMPORT USER PHOTOS link to return to the photo queue.
Step 6. When the Import Photos button is clicked the message below will be displayed.
When the process is complete, an email will be sent to the website administrator logged in during the import process. To receive the email make sure the correct email address in in the user account for the web site administrator that is logged in to do the photo import.
Email Sent to Website Administrator When Upload is Complete
An email will be sent to the email address of the website administrator who was logged in during the photo import. The message will include a list of the files that did not match a user account in the Users Database. To return to the photo queue, go to the Users Database and click the Import Photos left side link. There will be a link to the photo queue at the bottom of the screen. Remove or manually match any files left in the queue.