Import Users can be used to add initial users when CMS4Schools is first purchased, to update users and/or add multiple new users at one time. If users already exist, the Export feature can be used to create a spreadsheet with the proper headers and then edited to be used as the import file. A template file is available for download at this site: https://support.4schools.net/entries/22242966-Users-Database-Import-File-Template.
Another option is to start with a file export from your SIS that will contain some of the fields needed for this import.
To begin the process of importing users, within the Users Database, click Import Users within the left navigation bar.
Import File Set Up from Scratch
If you choose to create your own import file, please follow these steps:
- Create a spreadsheet using the columns described above.
- In the first row of the spreadsheet, create the above column headers. For example, in Cell A1 enter External Student System Info ID, in cell B1 enter First Name and continue across Row 1 entering field Names.
- Fill in the spreadsheet with the appropriate data values. * Note what fields are required for a successful import. *Also note: the last column Filler must contain an "x" for every record. Make sure the first and last columns do not contain any blank entries.
- Enter a check if the first row contain column headers.
- Save the spreadsheet as a tab delimited .txt
- Using the Choose file button at the bottom of this page, locate the file.
- Finally click Import.
A few more thngs...
- Even if district only uses a single 4Schools product, an import file must contain columns A - AS as well as column AT, containing the filler “x” for every row used. Only columns A-D and AT must contain data. The other columns may be blank if desired and the information updated by editing an individual user account.
- Uncheck any field at the far right column that should not be updated in the import process. If a box is checked and the corresponding column in the spreadsheet is blank, existing user data for that field will be removed.
- To help insure a successful import file, delete several columns to the right of column AT and several rows below the last row containing a user’s account data.
- Uncheck the Email Password box if you do not want the user’s passwords mailed out. If there is no email address in column J or already in the Users Database the password cannot be sent.
If an error occurs during the import process please attach to the support ticket, a screen shot of the error message and a copy of the import file.