This database contains information that can be added to the main body or right side bar of any main website page. Announcements are categorized allowing the flexibility of displaying them on a designated web page, i.e. high school athletic events on the Athletics Page or middle school events on the Middle School Home Page. In addition announcements are dated and can be turned on and off using a beginning and ending date eliminating the need to remember when to remove them from the website.
Permission for this module must be assigned within the Users' CMS4Schools Account. Users can be given permissions for all announcement categories or only a select few.
Note: The Announcements Database is used to add/edit/delete announcements. In order for any announcements to be displayed on your website, you must add an Announcements tool to the main body or right side bar of the page where you want the announcements to show. Please see the Announcement Tool Help Docs for further instructions.
Click on the Announcements Database link on the administration toolbar along the left. The Announcements Database page will display.
Working with Announcement Categories
Click on the Edit Categories link. The window shown below will open.
The Announcement Categories screen will show each of the categories and which category is defined as the Emergency Alert category. In addition, the number of announcements in each category is displayed.
Several typical category names are shown in the 2nd and 3rd screen shots above. You can be as specific as you’d like, but plan ahead on which page(s) you will display a category of announcements. A category may be added to more than one page.
Next click Add Category to create a new Announcement category.
Adding Announcement Categories
Enter the name for the Announcement Category into the Category Name field. Additionally, you can designate one announcement category as an Emergency Alert which can be set by checking the Set As Emergency Alert checkbox. When an active announcement has been added to the Emergency Alert category, the announcement will show at the top of every webpage until the visitor closes the announcement. Only the most current announcement in the designated Emergency Alert category will be displayed on the site. This will be shown below. Click on Add to finish adding the Announcement Category.
Emergency Alert Announcement Display
- Contents of the text editor
- Link - will appear as Read More > but will take you to the URL provided when creating the announcement.
- The public viewer can use the Close X link to close the announcement once it has been read.
Once categories have been set up, on the Announcements database page, click Add Announcement.
Enter the required information
- Category: Used to organize announcements and designate the page(s) it will be displayed on.
- Announcement Title: This will appear in a colored bar above the announcement when displayed on the Main Body of a web page.
- Start Date/Time: Use this to indicate when this announcement will appear on the website.
- End Date/Time: Use this to indicate when this announcement will be removed from the website.
- Announcement: Type in or copy and paste the announcement in this text area. Use the Paste as Plain Text icon when copying text. This will remove and HTML or special coding that may cause formating problems when displaying on a web page. You can use the tools on the editor to format the text.
- Graphic (optional): Click the browse button to locate a graphic to include with your announcement. The image must be a .jpg, .png or .gif.
- Justification: Set the Justification for the image. If "Above" or "Below" is chosen then there is the additional option of choosing left, right or center.
- Image Width: Set the desired image width using the radio buttons. If "Custom Width" is chosen enter the number of pixels wide the image should be. Images will be resized accordingly when they are uploaded.
- Alt Text: Provide text that will show when the mouse cursor hovers on the picture if the computer is equipped with a screen readers for the visually impaired. It is not support by all browsers. This option will appear with a red asterisk by it, making it required, only if a user with permissions to the Settings module has made Alt Text required.
- Link Graphic To: Add a URL to make the graphic a link.
- Graphic Link Type: If a link is added in the "Link Graphic To:" option use the radio buttons to determine if the URL should open in a New Browser Window (usually used for an external website) or in Existing Browser Window (usually used for an internal web page.)
- Add button - Use this to save the changes.
Ultimately, announcements are sorted first by descending start date/time (so that more recent announcements are at the top) and then by ascending end date/time. If any announcements have the exact same start date/time and end date/time, the tie breaker is the announcement title in alphabetical order. Therefore, you can adjust the start dates and times of the announcements to control the order in which they will appear.