Adding a Site Search to your website allows visitors to quickly locate information. This help doc will describe how to add a Custom Google Search to your website.
Enabling a Site Search Across the Entire Site
Within the CMS4Schools Admin, click on Navigation Builder Home.
Select Site Search Results from the drop down menu at the top of the page content area.
Click on Main Body for the one page that exists in that category.
The following screen will display:
Creating a Google Custom Search ID
Use the click here link to be taken to the Google website to create the site search and obtain the code needed to add this functionality to your website.
The next screen will walk you through those steps.
- Enter the URL(s) of your website under Sites to Search.
- Provide a name for the search engine, typically your school district name.
- If you wish, you can utilize more advanced options by clicking on the link and following the instructions provided.
- Click Create.
A few more details...
Before grabbing the code, it is important to verify the sites to be searched.
Click on Edit search engine near the top left and complete the following steps:
In the Sites to Search section, verify that all the sites to be included are listed. If needed, you can add, delete, etc. URLs.
On the right side of this area, click on the Search only included sites link, The two choices include:
- Search only included sites
- Search the entire web but emphasize included sites
Make your selection, then click Update.
Locating the Code
- Along the left, click on Setup.
- At the top you will see the Basics tab.
- Near the middle of the page, click on Search engine ID. Your search engine ID will display in a pop-out window allowing you to easily copy it.
Back in CMS4Schools
Paste the code in Google Custom Search ID box and choose from the additional options available.
Click Update to complete the process.