The Announcements Tool displays all or selected categories of the announcements added to the Announcements Database Admin. The Announcements Database Admin is a left side link in the Main Web Site Admin that is only visible if the user has been given permission to access it. All announcements are added to the database and displayed on the web site using the Announcements Tool. There is both a Main Body and a Right Side Announcements tool.
Accessing the Right Side Bar
In the Navigation Builder click on the Right link of the page where the Announcements Tool will be displayed. If no Right Side tools are used, the Main Body will use the full width of the page except for the left side navigation links. When tools are added to the Right Side, all tools in the Main Body will automatically resize to optimally fit the smaller width of the Main Body area.
Adding the Announcements Tool
- Select Announcements from the Add Tool to Right Side: drop down list.
- Choose the position of the tool on the Right Side. The default is at the top of the page. The item showing in the drop down list should be the tool that should display directly above the tool being added. The first tool added will only have the "Place at top of page" in the drop down.
- Choose whether or not to use a line to separate the individual tools add to the Right Side. See image below this text.
- Click the Add button.
Setting the Properties of the Announcements Tool
This screen will appear after clicking the Add button and also when clicking the Edit Announcements Properties link.
- Use the radio button to determine which announcements will be displayed.
- Edit the text in the text editor if a different message should be displayed when there are no announcements. This can also be left blank if you wish.
- Click the Update button.
Understanding the Announcement Tool's Options
- edit - enter a tool heading, make tool active/inactive, schedule a status change from active to inactive or vice versa
- Edit Announcement Properties - change the categories of announcements that will be displayed, update text that displays if there are no announcements.
- See the links that have been added to the tool. For each link see a thumbnail of the image if one has been uploaded, the title of the link and the URL. The URL will display here even it the Display Type was set to "Hyperlink the Link Title'. Should this step be here? Check the number of steps. Joanne
- Add/Edit/Delete Announcements - this link will take the user to the Announcements Database Admin. This link will only show if the user logged in has permissions to the Announcements Database Admin.
- Edit Categories - this link will take the user to the Announcements Database Admin. This link will only show if the user logged in has permissions to the Announcements Database Admin.
- Move - Change the location of this Links Tool to another page in the main website or to a new page.
- Preview - preview the page
- Delete - Delete the tool from the page