The calendar section of Cal4Schools is where you can add, edit or delete events. Filters may be used to limit the display to include specific building events or events belonging to specific categories.
The calendar screen is where you go to add, edit, or delete events.
Understanding the Calendar Screen
Filters - Filters may be applied to buildings, categories and/or subcategories. These three are defined by a Calendar4Schools administrator in the Toolbox section. A building name will not display in the filter area until at least one event has been added to the calendar that has a building / facility attached. Set a filter by checking the desired check box or combination of check boxes, and click the Filter button. Use the Clear link to remove filter choices.
Mini Calendar – Navigate to specific month and/or day.
Calendar4Schools Sections – Calendars, Signup Sheets, Facility Requests, Reports, Toolbox and Help
Each of these sections is covered in separate help documents. The help documents may be found at https://support.4schools.net/home.
Go To Today – returns you to the current date
Week/Month – changes the calendar format
Link, RSS and iCal – are covered in a separate document
Print/PDF – print or save a calendar. Printing options are below:
Printing from the Calendar Section
Calendar View – will print the month view
List View – will print a horizontal list for the specified date range.
Categories: Filter the events that should be printed. Use the Clear link to remove the filters.
Include: Check the box for the details you want to include in the printout.
Print: This button will print the calendar in HTML format
Save PDF: This button will create a PDF of the calendar that can be printed (without the HTML header/footers) or saved as a file. Useful as an email attachment.
Cancel: - Removes the dialog box and returns to the calendar.
Understanding the Calendar Screen (cont.)
Calendar – can be displayed in a Monthly (default) or Weekly format. The weekly format looks similar to Google and Outlook calendars. The format can be changed using the Week/Month buttons found above the calendar
Displays all events or selected events from the filter choices, for all users.
Add/edit/delete events if user has appropriate permissions.
Adding an Event
To create a New Event, click on the date number in the calendar’s main body to open the window shown below.
Entering Event Details - Screen Shot #1
- Event Title this is the text that will display in the calendar. Required
- Category select the Category from the drop-down list to which the event will belong. Categories are created by a Calendar4Schools administrator in the Toolbox section. Permissions can restrict which categories you will see in the drop-down list. Required Note: It is important to select the correct category because if the event is assigned to the wrong category it will not appear if the calendar is filtered for the category where it should be. The event might also be displayed in the wrong color since categories can be assigned to a specific color.
- Subcategory while not required, if a subcategory exists that is appropriate to the event, it should be selected to allow the filtering system to work correctly. Optional
- Date this field is populated by the date you clicked on to create the event. However it is possible to change the date here if you realize you have chosen the incorrect date for the event. Click into the box next to the displayed date and a mini calendar will open. Select the desired date form the mini calendar. Required
- Time use the “time picker” to easily select the start and end times. Start by clicking inside the box, then picking AM or PM, then the hour and then the minute. The next level expands to become visible as a choice is made in the current level. You may also key in the time instead of using the “time picker.” Optional
- Description Use the text editor to add a description of the event. If pasting text from another source, copy the text and paste onto the plain text clipboard, using the icon. This will remove any formatting that an application such as Word or any HTML code that will prevent the text from displaying correctly. Use the text editor options to add in any formatting desired. This description will show when the event is opened by a viewer, not directly in the calendar. Optional
Entering Event Details - Screen Shot #2 (Locations, Facilities, Resources, and Attachments)
- Location(s) Choose a location where the event will occur. There is a drop-down list to choose from. Locations are added by a Calendar4Schools admin. If a location is added that has an address recorded in the locations list, a Google map will be available by clicking on the Map link next to the location name when the viewer opens the event. If needed, more than one location may be added to an event. Click on the Attach Another Location link. Optional
- Facility Use Selecting the “Yes, a facility is required” radio button expands the current window to include the next screen shot. For the event to show using the filters by building, the event needs to be attached to the building/facility. Additional facilities may be added to the same event by clicking on the link Attach Another Facility.
- Resource Use - Selecting the “Yes, a resource is required” radio button expands the current window to include the screen shot below. Resources are added by a Calendar Admin in the Toolbox.
When requesting a resource:
- Choose the building
- Choose the resource and Check Usage as described for the facility below.
- Enter the begin and end times for the use of the resource.
- If more than one resource is required, click on the link Attach Another Resource and repeat the process.
4. Attachments - To add attachments, browse to the file, is stored and select it. Be sure to add a title for your attachment in the box to the right of the Choose File button. You may add as many attachments as are needed by repeating the process using the Add Another Attachment link.
Adding a Facility
When Yes is selected for Facility Use the window expands as shown above.
When requesting a facility:
- Choose a building
- Choose the facility in the building where the event will occur. Click on the Check Usage link to see if the facility has already been booked. The Check Usage screen below shows. If nothing is scheduled, the table will not show and the message “No Setups Found” will display under the date fields. You may change the dates and do a search for a time when the facility is free.
- Enter Facility Notes - not required
- Enter Begin and End time - not required
Check Usage Screen
The Check Usage screen is shown above. If nothing is scheduled, the table will not show and the message “No Setups Found” will display under the date fields. You may change the dates and do a search for a time when the facility is free.
Entering Event Details - Screen Shot #3
- Recurrence - Recurring events can be entered once and by choosing the appropriate recurrence pattern for the dates, all dates on which the event occurs can be entered at one time. Choices are None, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, and Select Your Dates. Daily, Weekly and Monthly require you to select an end date. The event will reoccur until the end date is reached. Select Your Dates can be used when there is no pattern to the dates on which the events take place. You may enter the dates manually or use the mini calendar to pick the dates.
- Allow RSVPs Check the box if you wish to let visitors to your calendar RSVP for an event. If you choose this option then enter one or more email addresses to which the RSVPs should be sent. When a visitor to your calendar clicks on an event that has the “Allow to RSVP” enabled the visitor will be presented with the following three screens letting them enter their name, phone number, email address and number attending. The email account listed in the RSVP setup will receive an email that looks similar to the one below.
- Click on the Add button to place the event into the calendar. Viewers and Admins will be able to click on the event title in the calendar body to see event details. An Admin can click on the pencil icon to edit the event details or delete the event.
To add another event to the same or a different date click on the date number and repeat the process.
Viewers and Admins will be able to click on the event title in the calendar body to see event details. An Admin can click on the pencil icon to edit the event details or delete the event. A window similar to the one above will open when the event title is clicked.
Editing an Event
Editing an Event:
- Click the pencil icon in front of the event title.
- Make any needed changes to the event.
- Click the Save button.
Deleting an Event
Deleting an Event:
Click the pencil icon in front of the event title.
If the event is a non-recurring event, click the Delete button and confirm that the event should be deleted.
If the event is a recurring event:
Scroll to the bottom of the Update Event window.
Check the dates of the event that you want to delete (use the Check All link to check all of the dates at one time.)
Click the Delete button and confirm that the event(s) should be deleted.