A Building Use Calendar can be added to a main website page and will display events from the Calendar of Events within CMS4Schools. These events can be filtered to display events by facility. It is often used in conjunction with the Request Building Usage tool, which enables users to submit a building use request via your website. These two tools effectively turn your website into a facilities management application.
Here is how it works...
- Within Calendar Admin, categories and facilities are created.
- A Building Use Calendar is added to the district website
- A Request for Building Use form is added to the district website
- John Doe would like to use one of your district facilities
- John goes to your website and checks the Building Use Calendar to see if the facility is available
- If it is, John fills out the Request for Building Use form on your website
- This request generates an email to the person with permission to approve these requests.
- If the request is approved, the event is automatically added to the district calendar making it visible on the building use calendar. Emails will also be sent to building custodians, athletic directors, etc. as well as the person who submitted the request.
- If the request is denied, emails are sent explaining why.
Calendar Admin - Creating Categories
Categories are used to organize events. If you are syncing your events with rSchool or Schedule Star, it is best to create categories the match those used in rSchoolToday or Schedule Star.
Click Edit Categories
NOTE: The Schedule Star or rSchoolToday? link is not available unless you subscribe to one of these services.
- If you use rSchoolToday or Schedule Star, use the ‘Click here to update these drop down boxes’ link. CMS4Schools updates the category attributes to reflect categories previously set up in rSchoolToday or Schedule Star. Once the attributes for these CMS4Schools categories are entered, events will flow into your CMS calendar. For additional information regarding rSchool Today or Schedule Star, please watch the instructional video on the CMS4Schools Support website.
- If you do not use rSchoolToday or Schedule Star, simply click Add Category.
- Fill in the required information above. An example Category Name would be Elementary School or HS Volleyball.
- To assign a Custom Font Color to a category, click the View Hexidecimical Colors link. Enter the 6-character color code into the box. Color coding categories helps the user to easily identify them.
- Can Subscribe? - allows Members Database members to subscribe to the category and choose to receive a weekly email notifying them of upcoming events in this category.
- Faculty Can Include? - allows faculty to display events from this category on their faculty calendars.
- Is a Schedule Star / rSchool Category? - allows events from these vendors to flow into the category. NOTE: If you do not use Schedule Star or rSchool Today, this will not appear.
- Click Submit and repeat this process for all remaining categories.
- A typical facility is Small Gym or MS Auditorium.
- Indicate if you want to allow double booking of this facility
- Then click Add. Repeat this process for all additional facilities in your district.
Add Building Use Calendar Calendar to Website
Along left, click Navigation Builder Home and locate the page that will display the Building Use Calendar.
Under Content, click Main Body
From the Add Tool to the Page drop down menu, choose Building Use Calendar then click Add. A screen similar to the one above will appear.
To see the calendar, click Preview.
Add Request for Building Use to Website
Using the Navigation Builder Home, click Main Body on the page that you wish the request form to display.
From the Add Tool to the Page drop down menu, choose Request Building Usage then click Add. A screen similar to the one above will appear.
Enter email address(es) for those you wish to be notified when a request has been received in the first box, email address(es) for those to be notified when a request has been approved in the second, and emails for those to be notified when a request is rejected in the third box.
To Approve a Building Request
Email is delivered to your mailbox indicating a Request for Building Use has been received.
Log into CMS4School and locate the page containing the Request for Building Use form.
Click on Main Body. A display similar to the one above is shown.
To see the building use requests, click on the Approve/Reject ## Building Use Requests link near the middle of this tool.
The screenshot below will appear and provide details of the requests. This is where you will approve or deny the request. Click Submit at either the top or bottom of this screen when finished.
If the request is approved:
The event will automatically be added to your Calendar Admin calendar.
The event will automatically be displayed on your Building Use Calendar letting others know the facility is no longer available.
An email is generated to those designated in the 2nd box within the Request tool informing them of the approved upcoming event.
An email is generated to the person who submitted the request informing them it has been approved.
If the request is denied:
An email is generated to those designated in the 3rd box within the Request tool informing them this event has been denied.
An email is generated to the person who submitted the request informing them it has been denied. We strongly urge you to include the reason for the denial within the Decision Comments area.