All events are organized within the Calendar Admin master calendar and may be displayed on any main website page using the Calendar of Events, Mini Calendar, and Upcoming Events tools. rSchoolToday, Google Calendars, and Schedule Star calendar can be set up to sync events to categories within the Calendar Admin. While the Calendar Admin has many features available, the only thing that is required before adding/creating events is to add categories. The other sections/settings are optional.
Note: Permissions for this module must be assigned within the users' 4Schools Account. Users can be given permissions for all calendar categories or only selected categories.
Faculty also have access to a My Calendar Admin module and can create calendars specific to their website. There is an option when creating a calendar category in the main website admin to allow faculty members to include the calendar in their faculty calendars. This would allow you to create a calendar category like "District" that contains all the vacation, begin and end term, and parent-teacher conference dates for your district. The District category could then be the one place you would need to go to edit dates. Once changes were made they would be reflected throughout your website and not need to be changed in multiple places.
Access Calendar Admin
Within the Main Website Administration window, click on Calendar Admin in the left menu.
Note: If Calendar Admin is not visible, you do not have user permissions for this module. Contact your website administrator to obtain the necessary permissions.
Calendar Admin Main Screen
Dropdown menus for
- and category allows for quick filtering capabilities.
- Edit Locations: Once locations are added, driving directions to these locations will be included with any attached events.
- Edit Categories: Categories are used to organize events. You control which events are displayed on a page’s calendar tool by selecting which categories to display within the tool.
- Edit Facilities: Used to identify which facility is used for the events.
- Import: Events may be imported from a tab-delimited text file such as Excel.
- Weekly Email Settings: Members Database and Users Database users have the option of receiving a weekly email of upcoming events.
- Imported/Integrated Calendar(s): Settings for rSchoolToday, google calendar, or Schedule Star. The image above only displays the google calendar option.
- Timezone: Will ensure that the dates and times represented in your calendar reflect your local time zone for iCal.
Each date number is a link that takes you to the New Event screen.
Setting the Timezone enables iCal users to accurately sync with the Calendar of Events on your webpage.
From the main Calendar Admin page, click Timezone to open the Timezone for iCal screen.
- Choose the appropriate region from the drop-down list and click Continue.
- Choose the appropriate Timezone and click Save Timezone.
You will receive notification that your choice has been saved.
Add an Event
Click on the date number that you would like to add an event to and a New Event screen will open for the selected date.
- Event Title: This is the text that will appear on the calendar describing the event. It is recommended that you enter an Event Title. If left blank, the event description will appear as the title.
- *Category: Choose the desired from the dropdown list. This will be your only means of organizing all your events; therefore, we strongly recommend that you have these categories set up prior to adding events to your calendar.
- *Date: The date will pre-populate based on the date selected from the calendar admin, but you may enter a different date if desired.
- Date description: This field is used only if additional information is necessary.
- Begin and End Times: Enter the time the event will begin. If known, enter the time the event will end.
- Description: Use this field to provide further clarification for an event. For example, you can enter the main contact for the event with an email address. To view this description, Website users will need to click on the event on the calendar.
- Location: Choose the appropriate location for this event from the drop-down box. If the location does not appear in the drop-down, you can click on the New Location button to add the new location to the database. By selecting a location, users will be able to click on a link to open driving directions to this location.
- Extra Location Text: This text area could be used to enter written directions to an event or to include specific location information, For example, please enter through the main entrance or north side gym doors.
- Facility Use Yes/No: If checked Yes, this event will appear on your Building Use Calendar.
- Attachments: Documents that provide additional event information may be attached to this event. You can click on the Add Another Attachment link if you need to add more than one attachment.
- Links: URLs may be attached to this event. You can click on the Add Another Link option if you need to add more than one URL.
- Recurrence: Each radio button (except None) when chosen will display options for the recurrence.
- Allow to RSVP: Check this box if you want your Web site users to be able to email an RSVP for this event. If you check this box, you will be asked to enter an email address where these RSVPs will be sent.
When all the desired information has been entered, click the Submit New Event button at the bottom of the page. The event will populate on the Calendar Admin.
Update an Event
Within Calendar Admin, click on the event on the calendar that you want to update. This will bring up the Update Event screen for this event. You can then make any desired modifications to the information for this event. If this is a recurring event, you will need to check the boxes next to the events that this change needs to apply to. Click the Update Event button at the bottom of the page to save the changes.
Delete an Event
Within Calendar Admin, click on the event on the calendar that you want to delete. This will bring up the Update Event screen similar to the one above. If this is a recurring event, you will need to check the boxes next to all the events that need to be deleted. Click the Delete Event button at the bottom of the page.
View Events on your Website
The Calendar Admin link on the left side administration menu bar is used for adding, editing and deleting events only. To view events, you will need to add a Calendar of Events, Mini Calendar or Upcoming Events tool to a page.