This tool can be used to create a set of resource links displayed in a list format that includes title, the link, and an optional description of that link to internal or external websites and many file formats. The advantage to using this tool is the ability to browse directly to the files for upload. There is no need to add the file to the File Uploads thereby saving several steps. Plus, updating a file removes the old file from the server and replaces it with the new file, saving storage space on the server. If a resource is deleted the linked file is also deleted from the server.
Resource/News is a very efficient way to add files for newsletters and the optional RSS feed icon can be displayed to allow viewers to subscribe to the resource list. Many districts display a comprehensive list of board policies and agendas. This is the perfect tool for that purpose. The Resource/News Tool is both a Main Body and Right Side page detail tool, but this Help Doc will focus on adding the tool to the Main Body of a Faculty Web page.
Accessing the Main Body of a Faculty Webpage
In My Navigation Builder click on the Main Body link of the page where the Resources/News Tool will be displayed. The Main Body will use the full width of the page except for the left side navigation links if no Right Side tools are used. When tools are added to the Right Side all tools in the Main Body will automatically resize to optimally fit the smaller width of the Main Body area.
Adding the Resource/News Tool
- Select Resource/News from the Add Tool to this page: drop down list.
- Choose the position of the tool on the page. The default is at the top of the page. The item showing in the drop down list should be the tool that should display directly above the tool being added. The first tool added will only have the "Place at top of page" in the drop down.
- Click the Add button.
Understanding the Resource/News Tool Options
- edit - Enter a tool heading, make tool active/inactive, schedule a status change from active to inactive or vice versa
- RSS Feed - Displays the URL used to set up the RSS feed.
- (learn more) - External website describing what an RSS feed is and how to set it up.
- Update - Choose whether or not to display the RSS icon and add an optional title to the feed.
- Add Resource/News Item - Add resources using this link. Details given in the next step.
- Change Position - Change the order in which the tools will appear within the Main Body of the Page. (This is only available if there are other tools on the page.)
- Move - Change the location of this Resources/News Tool to another page in the main website or to a new page.
- Preview - Preview the page
- Delete - Delete the tool from the page
Adding Resources to the Tool
Click the Add Resource/News Item link to open the window as seen in step #5 in the previous screen shot.
- Position After: - Controls the order of the resources added to the tool. By default a new link will be added to the top of the list.
- Resource/News Name: - Key in a name for the resource, required. This will become the link to the website or file. For example, February Newsletter
- Short Description: - Describe what the viewer will see or how they can use the resource, optional.
- Resource Type: - Choose one of the 4 radio buttons described in items 5, 6, 7, and 8, required.
- None - No link - use as a text editor to insert a short statement.
- Internal Web Page - Will create a new web page in your website.
- Web Site Link - Key or paste in the URL of a website. Choose whether the website should open in the existing browser or a new window. This can be a web page within your website.
- Link to a File - Use the Choose File button to browse to the file that should upload. See the screen shot above for the accepted file types. This is the most often used option.
- Status : - Once a resource is uploaded it can be activated/inactivated as needed. There is no need to delete a resource that will need to be added back at a later date.
- Add - Click the Add button to save the changes.
Repeat for additional resources.
Understanding the Resource/NewsTool Options - Additional Links that Appear Once Resources are Added
Links not numbered in this screen shot are described in previous screen shots.
- Add to the Top or Add to the Bottom - Add another resource to the list in the position described by the link.
- Move Items - Move individual items to another Resource/News tool either in the Main Body or Right Side of another page. Choose the item and then select the page from the drop down list. Each Resource News tool is described by it's tool ID number. The tool ID number for the tool in this screen shot is (271570).
- Insert After - Use the link to add a resource below the link. Similar to the Add at the Top or Add at the Bottom links but inserts the link into the middle of the list.
- Up and Down - Change the order of the resource in the list in the described direction.
- Update - Change any information about the resource. Here is where you would replace a file that needs to be updated. Just browse to the new file and save the changes. The old file will be deleted.
- Delete - Delete the individual resource.
- Preview - See the individual resource.