There is a Homework Admin and Homework Listing tool for both the main website administration and for faculty accounts.
In the main website admin, the Homework Admin is used to create the assignment types. The Homework Listing tool can be added to any main website page and display assignments from multiple teachers either by CMS4Schools groups and/or by grade levels. For example, the middle school might have a Homework page that contains a Homework Listing for each grade level.
On the faculty side, the My Homework Admin is used by the teacher. They add their classes and assign grade levels to them. The assigned grade levels are important to provide flexibility in displaying assignments on the main website pages as well as allowing the teacher to check on the number of Major homework assignments already scheduled by other teachers in their building.
Using the My Homework Admin calendar, the faculty member adds assignments for classes/sections as needed. The faculty side Homework Listing tool will only display assignments created by the faculty member. However, the tool allows the faculty member to specify which classes/subjects to display, so all classes could be displayed using a single tool or they could have individual class pages displaying only assignments from one class.
To accommodate "project" types of assignments that have several days between the day it is assigned and the due date, a checkbox allows the faculty member to have the assignment and any attachments to the assignment display each day without using the "Recurrence" options. The recurrence options are used for adding separate assignments that occur at a regular interval, such as Journal Entries which are treated as individual assignments. If a recurring assignment has a due date, the next day each recurrence will have the due date one day after the assigned date.
See the My Homework Admin & Homework Listing Tool article for more information about the faculty use of My Homework Admin that the Homework Listing Tool.
Access Homework Admin
Click on the Homework Admin link on the Main Website Administration toolbar along the left side. The Homework Types page will display.
Add Homework Types
Click the Add Homework Type link to open the Add Homework Type screen.
- Homework Type: Enter in a name for the assignment type. The text entered here will be seen in a dropdown list the teachers will see when creating an assignment. Typical homework types include Daily Assignment, Test, Project, Lab, or any other type that is appropriate for your curriculum.
- Is Default: Only one homework type can be selected as the default type. The one designated as default will show in the Homework Type dropdown when a teacher creates a new assignment. If the assignment being created is the default type the teacher will not need to make a selection. The default type could be something like "Daily Assignment."
- Is Major: Check this box for assignment types that you would like to see spread out for a grade level, so students will not have too many "major" assignments at one time.. A teacher will be able to check what major assignments other teachers have already assigned when creating a new assignment.
Homework Types Options
- Default: Indicates which homework type is the default.
- Major: Indicates if a homework type is major.
- Update: Allows you to update the homework type, default, and major options.
- Delete: Allows you to delete a homework type. If there are any assignments in the future assigned to that type, the type cannot be deleted. Most likely you would need to delete the type between terms or in the summer.
Homework Listing Tool Options
- edit: Add/edit/remove tool heading, change tool status to inactive/active, or schedule a status change.
- Edit This Homework Listing's Properties: This opens the Update Homework Listing screen.
- Change Position: Change the position of the tool on the current page
- Move: Change the location of this tool to another page by selecting the desired category and page
- Preview: Opens a new tab to preview the page
- Delete: Deletes the tool from the page
Update Homework Listing
- Select Faculty Group(s): Groups are created in the User Accounts Admin. Users are assigned to groups in the 4Schools Users Database CMS4Schools tab. These are the same groups that are used with the Faculty List from Faculty Database tool.
- Select Grade(s): Display assignments using the grades teachers attache to their class sections. If no grades are checked, assignments for all grades will be displayed.
Homework Listing Tool Display
- Tool Heading
- Keyword Search will search for class/section, teacher, assignment, and description. When searching for a keyword the search will look for the keyword in assignments that occur in the selected date range.
- All Homework Types will be listed and checked. Uncheck the types you do not want to be found in the search.
- Select the date range to display. Both dates will default to the current date. Use the date picker or key in the dates.
- Click the Search button when you have the search parameters set.
- Click the "+" in front of an assignment to view the description as well as attachments and links provided by the teacher.
- Print Short List which displays the printable (CTRL-P) table with Class/Section, Grade, Teacher, Assignment Title, and Due Date
- Print Expanded List which includes same information as short list with an additional row that includes the Description and lists the attachments and links.
Note: There will be nothing to display until teachers add assignments in their Homework Admin included with their Faculty Administration.