There is a Homework Admin and Homework Listing tool for both the main website administration and for faculty accounts.
In the main website admin, the Homework Admin is used to create the “assignment types.” At least one type must be created. The Homework Listing tool can be added to any main website page and display assignments from multiple teachers either by groups or by grade levels. More than one listing tool can be used on the same or different pages. This will allow the district to customize the way assignments are made available to the public viewer. For example, the middle school might have a Homework page that contains a Homework Listing for each grade level.
On the faculty side, the Homework Admin is used by the teacher. They add their classes and assign grade levels to them. The assigned grade levels are important to provide flexibility in displaying assignments on the main website pages as well as allowing the teacher to check on the number of “Major” homework assignments already scheduled by other teachers in their building.
Using the Homework Admin calendar, the teacher adds assignments just the way events are added in the Calendar Admin. The faculty side Homework Listing tool will only display assignments created by the teacher. However the tool allows the teacher to specify which classes/subjects to display, so all classes could be displayed using a single tool or they could have individual class pages displaying only assignments from one class. For example, a teacher could create a 'Homework page' that displays all assignments for all their classes OR they could create a 'Homework page' for each class or subject they teach and display only that class's assignments.
In March 2013, an enhancement was made to the way assignments can be displayed. To accommodate "project" types of assignments that have several days between the day it is assigned and the due date, a check box was added to allow the teacher to have the assignment and any attachments to the assignment display each day without using the "Recurrence" options. The recurrence options are used for adding separate assignments that occur at regular interval, such as Journal Entries which are treated as individual assignments. If a recurring assignment has a due date, the next day each recurrence will have the due date one day after the assigned date.
The Main Website instructions are in the first part of this document and the Faculty instructions in the second part.
Main Website Admin Tools
Homework Admin - Main Website Admin - Steps to set up homework types and adding a Homework Listing tool to a main website page.
Homework Admin Access
If the Homework Admin link does not show as a left navigation link in your main website admin, give permissions to the module itself in the Users Database.
In the Users Database, search for the individual whose account should have access to the “Homework Admin”
- Click on the pencil icon to edit the account
- Click on the CMS4Schools tab and then the Web Site Administration sub tab
- Check the box just to the left of “Homework Admin”
- Scroll down and click the Save button.
- Click on the CMS4Schools button to return to your main web site admin screen.
To Add Homework Types
Click the Homework Admin link shown in the first screen shot.
- Click the Add Homework Type link that will take you to the screen shown above.
- Homework Type: Key in a name for the assignment type. The text entered here will be seen in a dropdown list the teachers will see when creating an assignment. Typical homework types are: Daily Assignment, Test, Project, Lab, or what ever is appropriate to your curriculum.
- Is Default: Only one homework type can be selected as the default type. The one designated as default will show in the Homework Type dropdown when a teacher creates a new assignment. If the assignment being created is the default type the teacher will not need to make a selection. The default type could be something like "Daily Assignment."
- Is Major: Check this box for assignment types that you would like to see spread out for a grade level, so students will not have too many "major" assignments at one time.. A teacher will be able to check what major assignments other teachers have already assigned when creating a new assignment.
After a homework type is created, when there are any assignments in the future assigned to that type, the type cannot be deleted. Most likely you would need to delete the type between terms or in the summer.
Homework Listing Tool on Main Website Pages
Add the Homework Listing Tool to the page where the assignments should display, just as you would any other CMS4Schools page detail tool. You may want to have a Text/Graphic Editor
above the Homework Listing Tool describing what the public viewer is seeing and their options. The “Edit” link at the top of the tool will let you control the status of the tool by setting it to either Active (default) or inactive, and you can use the Tool Heading to add a title or short description of the tool.
Determining What the Homework Listing Tool will Display
The “Edit This Homework Listing's Properties” link is where you will choose which assignments to display. The default is all groups and all grades. Groups are created in the CMS4Schools User Accounts Admin. Use the Groups link in the Main Body of the page to create and manage the groups. These are the same groups that are used with the Faculty Listing tool. You can use groups to display the assignments from selected teachers. For example you could create a group for each building in your district, groups by subject area, groups by “house” or any other grouping that will meet your needs.
Grade levels lets you display assignments using the grades teachers attach to their class sections. Classes with multiple grades attached will show in the listing for each of the grade levels. If no grades are checked, assignments for all grades will be displayed.
Main Website Homework Listing Tool
Note: There will be nothing to display until teachers add assignments in their Homework Admin included with their Faculty Administration.
The Homework Listing tool options include:
- Tool Heading
- Keyword Search will search for class, teacher, assignment, and description. When searching for a keyword the search will look for the keyword in assignments that occur between the dates displayed. If you want to find all of the assignments containing the keyword set the dates to span the entire school year. Keep in mind, the more restrictions you apply to your search the less likely you are to find it. It’s best to keep the date range fairly wide.
- The viewer has the option to search for all Homework Types, the default. All Homework Types will be listed and checked. Uncheck the types you do not want found in the search.
- Select the date range to display . Both dates will default to the current date. Use the date picker or key in the dates. Be sure the End Date does not come before the Begin Date or you will not see any assignments listed.
- Click the Search button when you have the search parameters set.
- Click the "+" in front of an assignment to view the description as well as attachments and links provided by the teacher.
- Print Short List which displays the printable (CTRL-P) table with Class/Section, Grade, Teacher, Assignment Title, and Due Date
- Print Expanded List which includes same information as short list with an additional row that includes the Description and lists the attachments and links.
Faculty Homework Admin and Listing Tool
Instructions for using the faculty Homework Admin and adding a Homework Listing tool to a faculty website.
Faculty Homework Admin
When logged into your Faculty Admin click on the Homework Admin left side link to display the Homework Admin calendar which will be an empty monthly calendar if this is your first time in the Homework Admin. Before you can add any assignments you will need to add your classes/sections using the link below the calendar filters.
Add Classes / Sections
This will probably need to be done at the beginning of each term for the first year that you use the Homework tool. Classes can be made inactive and reactivated at a later date.
- Click the Edit Classes / Sections link above calendar
- Click on the Add Class /Section link shown in the screen shot on the left below.
- In the Add Class / Section window shown above, key in a name. (You may want to make a new class for each section in case a section does not meet when the others do.)
- Check appropriate grades. (This is important for displaying assignments on the main website side. You would check all the grades levels possible for students attending that class.)
- Check the Active check box. Removing the check at a later date would let you save the class for another term without deleting the class and having to recreate it. Inactive classes will not display in the Homework Listing tools. You will not be able to delete a class if it has assignments in it for a future date.
- Click the Add button.
- Repeat steps these for each class/section.
The Update link in the table listing your classes will return you to the Add Class / Section screen shown two screen shots above. You can update the information about the class and this is where you would make the class inactive at the end of a term.
Once all your classes/sections have been added click on the Back to My Homework Admin.
Adding an Assignment
You will add assignments for all classes to the calendar within your faculty Homework Admin. The Homework Listing tool is added to a faculty web page to display assignments for all or selected class sections. Adding an assignment is just like adding an event to the calendar in the Calendar Admin. Click the date link for the day you want to add the assignment
- Key in a name for the assignment - required
- Pick class/section from the drop down list - required
- Assign a date - defaults to current date but can change using date picker or by keying in date - required
- Check the box "Display each day from Assign date to due date" if you are creating a single assignment or project that spans a few to several days, and you want the assignment to be displayed each day.
- Due Date - optional
- Homework Type - When the assignment is a “Major” type as defined by the main web site admin, a Check for Other Major Homework link will appear so the teacher can check on other “Major” type assignments made by other teachers for students at the same grade level.
- Description - use the Text/Graphic Editor, the same one used as page detail tool, to add any information needed to explain the assignment details. - optional
- Attachment(s) - one or more attachments may be added to the assignment.
a. Browse to select file. The file types that can be attached are governed by the Allowed File Types option controlled by your main web site admin.
b. Title - while optional, it is a good practice to provide a title since it helps your website visitors understand what they are downloading to their personal computer.
c. Multiple attachments are allowed, simply use Add Another Attachment link and repeat the process.
9. Link(s) - one or more website links may be added to the assignment.
a. Key in or for accuracy paste in the URL
i. Title - while optional is good idea to use. It will give your web site visitors an idea of what to expect when they follow the link.
ii. Be sure to test the link to make sure it goes directly to the page you want your students to access.
b. Multiple links are allowed, simply use the Add Another Link and repeat the process.
10. Recurrence - you can use the recurrence options to have the assignment display on the dates you desire without re-keying in the assignment details. The options are:
b. Daily - assignment will repeat everyday until the end date, entered with the date picker or keyed in.
c. Weekly - options allow you to choose from one to eight weeks before the assignment is repeated, which day(s) of the week to display and to select the end date.
d. Monthly - options lets you pick which week(s) of the month, and on which day(s) of that week to display the assignment until the end date that can be added via the date picker or keyed in.
e. Select Your Dates - use the date picker or key in up to 40 dates. This is option is designed for use when there is no clear pattern of repeating dates.
11. Be sure to click the Submit New Assignment button to save entry
Check for Other Major Homework
You can scan through other major types of homework to determine if you may be overloading your students with assignments that will have a large impact on their grades.
Adding a Homework Listing Tool to a Faculty Web page
Click on the Main Body link of the page where you will add the Homework Listing tool. Select the tool from the Add Tool to this page drop down . Select the position of the tool on the page from the second drop down list and click the Add button.
Use the Edit link to add a tool heading if desired.
Click the Edit This Homework Listing's Properties to set up which assignments will display.
Choosing which classes the Homework Listing Tool will Display
If no classes are checked, the assignments for all of your active classes will display. If you want to display the assignments for only one or some of your class(es), check the box(es) for the class(es) you want the assignments to show. Click the Update button to save your changes.
You can add multiple Homework Listing Tools to the same page or to multiple pages. If you are adding more than one Homework Listing tool to the same page, be sure to use the Tool Heading to title identify that set of assignments. This could be the class name or perhaps you teach in both the Middle and High School and want to designate a tool of each level.
How the Homework Listing Tool Works
The parents and students viewing your website will have the following options when viewing a Homework Listing tool.
- The classes/scetions that we selected will be listed. In this case only Geometry was selected.
- The current date is the default . Key in a different date if desired.
- Choose which homework types of assignments to display. If none are checked all types will display.
- Click the Search button.
- Move backward and forward one week of assignments at a time.
- Viewers will see the Assigned Date, Class, Due Date, and the Assignment. If the "+" is clicked to expand the assignment the viewer will be able to read the description, and access any attachments or links that may have been included in the assignment.