Bulletin Boards, blogs, and forums are often a different name for the same thing. For the purpose of this Help Doc the term bulletin board will be used.
Google defines a bulletin board as "An information storage system designed to permit any authorized computer user to access and add to it from a remote terminal." As a result, the bulletin board tool available within CMS4Schools is often used by districts and individual teachers as a way to gather information and ideas from parents, students, and anyone who visits their website.
Depending on how the district or teacher defiines the properties of the tool, approval may be required by a designated administrator before the post becomes visible on the webpage. As is true for all webpages through the CMS4Schools system, this tool can be added to a password-protected page, thereby requiring a user to log in before posting. As further means of protecting the contents of the posts on a bulleltin board, a CAPTCHA box can be added, ensuring that the response is generated by a human being.
Finally, files may be attached to a post making this tool a valuable resource to share larger amounts of data.
What does a bulletin board look like on a webpage?
The bulletin board (discussion board) above has been set up to allow for the user to create new topics, search by keyword, and by clicking on the topic, takes the user to a screen where all previous posts are displayed and where the user can add their own message to the topic.
Where do I start?
Once a page has been added to house your bulletin board, follow these steps:
- Choose Bulletin Board/Blog/Forum from the Add Tool to the page dropdown menu.
- Choose the location on the page from the second dropdown menu. By default if no other tools exist, it will be Placed at top of page.
- Click Add.
The windlow below displays.
Define the Properties of the Bulletin Board
- Enter a title.
- Choose if you wish to display an RSS graphic.
- Determine if you wish to require that posts by approved by an administrator before viewing. If Yes, you can choose to include a CAPTCHA box. We strongly recommend the inclusion of a CAPTCHA box.
- Choose Yes/No in response to the remaining 3 options.
- Optionally provide an email address where a message will be sent when a post is added.
- Finally click Add.
If approval is required....
If approval is required, this is how the tool displays on the admin side of your website. If an email was provided, an email is sent alerting the administrator that an item is awaiting approval.
To see the posts, the administrator clicks the links to see them.