Users can now import their Google calendar events into CMS4Schools and utilize any of the current page tools available to display them. Calendar of Events, Mini-calendars, Upcoming Events are all able to display this information.
Steps to Import a Google Calendar
Here are the basic steps:
- Create a Google account and add events to the calendar.
- Establish the connection between CMS4Schools Calendar Admin and a Google Account.
- Select Google calendar(s) to display within CMS4Schools.
- Create categories to display the events from the Google calendar(s) and define the categories accordingly.
Once the Google calendar has been successfully imported, any of the CMS4Schools tools can be used to display them on a webpage.
Create a Google Account
If you do not currently have a Google account, this will be your first step. Visit https://accounts.google.com/SignUp to get started.
Within a Google Calendar, add events.
Make sure this calendar is set up as a Public Calendar. This is critical to the success of the import.
Within CMS4Schools Calendar Admin
After signing into CMS4Schools, go to Calendar Admin . At the far right, click on Google Events?
The above window will display indicating no calendars have been imported yet.
At the bottom, click on the Connect to my Google Account link.
Sign in to Google
If you are not signed into your Google account, you will be taken to a Google login screen.
If you are already signed iin, you will automatically see the following screen.
The page will refresh and display the Available Calendar/Selected Calendars in the bottom half of the window.
- Select the calendars you wish to import from the Available Calendars list on the left.. More than one may be selected at a time by holding down the Control key. Click Add> to move calendar(s) to the Selected Calendars column.
- Click Import Events
Important note: Please make sure the calendars' sharing are set to "Public". Also, some subscribed to calendars can't be imported at this time (example Google sports calendars).
Under Imported Google Calendars, locate the What To Do? section near the top.
There are three options/steps:
- Manage Calendars (Delete/Import more calendars) If you wish to make changes, simply add or remove calendars by moving them to the appropriate box. Please notice the imported calendars are still displayed on the left, but are now grayed-out, indicating they've been imported already.
- Assign Imported calendars to events categories
- Go to Calendar Admin.
Assign Imported Calendars to Events Categories - Option 3
Before the imported calendars will display within Calendar Admin, you must either create a category within CMS4Schools to display these events and set it up to display the Google events OR edit an existing category to display the events.
To add a category, click Add Category at the top.
Steps on how to edit an existing category are provided in the Using an Existing Category for an Imported Google Calendar step below.
Adding a Category - Option 3 cont.
- Enter a Category Name.
- Choose a custom font color if you want.
- Check Is A Google Calendar Events Category.
- Move the category from the Available Calendars box to the Selected Calendars box by clicking on it once, then click Add>
- Finally, click Submit.
Category List - Option 3 cont.
The screen will refresh and the newly created / imported calendar category will display. The number of events that have been imported is shown at the right.
Using an Existing Category for an Imported Google Calendar
If a category already exists and you wish to assign it to an imported Google calendar, follow these steps:
Open Calendar Category and located the existing category.
Click Update at the right.
- At the screen displayed above, check the Is a Google Calendar Events Category? box.
- Move the name of the calendar from the Available Calendars box to the Selected Calendars box.
- Click Submit.
If the calendar is not listed in the Available Calendars box, check to make sure you have established a connection with the Google Account. It is also possible the imported calendar has been assigned to a different category. If either of these two circumstances exist, the calendar will not display in the Available box.
Go To Calendar Admin - Option 4
If you go to Calendar Admin BEFORE creating a new category, the newly imported category will not display.
If you go to Calendar Admin AFTER creating a new category, you will see it included in the dropdown list of categories.
Displaying Events from your Google Calendar on a Webpage
A main body Calendar of Events tool has been added to the webpage above. Also, on the right side, a Mini-calendar and Upcoming Events tools have been added. These tools are displaying events from two Google calendars that have been imported into the CMS4Schools Calendar Admin.