View the Resource/News tool article in the new CMS4Schools Help Center to learn more about the Resource/News tool in the new CMS4Schools User Interface.
The Resouce/News tool a Main Body and Right Side tool that can be used to create a set of resource links made up of a combination of website links or uploaded files. The advantage to using this tool is the ability to browse directly to the files for upload. There is no need to add the file to the File Uploads thereby saving several steps.
The Resource/News tool is an efficient way to add files for newsletters and the optional RSS feed icon can be displayed to allow viewers to subscribe to the resource list. Many districts use this tool to display a comprehensive list of board policies and agendas.
Add Resource/News Item
After the tool has been added to the page, select the Add Resource/News Item option in the Resource/News tool to open the Add News Item screen.
Resource/News Tool Properties
*Indicates required fields
- Position After: Controls the order of the resources added to the tool. By default, a new link will be added to the top of the list.
- *Resource/News Name: Enter a name for the item. This will become the link to the website or file.
- Short Description: Describe what the viewer will see or how they can use the item.
- *Resource Type: Choose one of the 4 radio buttons to indicate the type of item.
- None - Title is Not linked: Use as a text editor to insert a short statement.
- Internal Web Page: This will create a new page on your website.
- Website Link - Paste in the URL of a website. Choose whether the website should open in the existing browser (internal page) or a new window (external page).
- Link to a File: Use the Choose File button to select a file to upload. This is the most often used option.
- Status: Once a resource is uploaded it can be activated/inactivated as needed. There is no need to delete a resource that will need to be added back at a later date.
Select Add to save the changes and create the item.
Resource/News Tool Options
- edit: Add/edit/remove tool heading, change tool status to inactive/active, or schedule a status change.
Note: It is recommended to always use a title when a tool is added to the right side of a page.
- RSS Feed: Displays the URL used to set up the RSS feed.
- Update: Choose whether or not to display the RSS icon and add an optional title to the feed.
- Add to the Top or Add to the Bottom: Add another resource to either the top or bottom of the list
- Move Items: Move individual resource/news items to another Resource/News tool either in the Main Body or Right Side of the same or different page. See the Move Resource/News Item section below for more details.
- Insert After: Add a new item below the selected resource.
- Up and Down: Use to change the order of the resource in the list.
- Update: Update the selected resource. See the Update News Item section below.
- Delete: Delete the resource. Note that if the resource is a file, it will be removed from the server.
- Preview: See the individual resource.
- Change Position: Change the position of the tool on the current page
- Move: Change the location of this tool to another page by selecting the desired category and page
- Preview: Opens a new tab to preview the page
- Delete: Deletes the tool from the page
Move Resource/News Item
In the Resource/News tool, select the Move Items option to open the Move Resources/News Items screen
- Select the item(s) that you want to move to another tool
Note: You can also view the item using the preview link
- Select the new location for the item
Select Submit to move the item(s) selected.
Update News Item
In the Resource/News tool, select Update for the item to be updated and the Update News Item screen.
You can update the item position, name, short description, item details, and status.